After the release of Autodesk Infrastructure Modeler, several customers have asked us about what is happening with Autodesk LandXplorer Studio Professional. Essentially, Infrastructure Modeler is being introduced as the next generation of LandXplorer Studio Professional capability.
- We're introducing new workflows that improve upon the LandXplorer experience based on customer feedback
- We are attempting to echo capability in Infrastructure Modeler that is roughly equivalent to some capability in LandXplorer
- Current subscription holders of LandXplorer Studio Professional will receive Infrastructure Modeler 2012 for their entitlement this year
- Users who depend on some LandXplorer Studio Professional functionality may continue to use their LandXplorer licenses under our standard prior version policy
We realize that this is particularly important for existing customers who use CityGML. We hope to explore CityGML interoperability through Infrastructure Modeler in the future. Customers who have specific concerns about this should contact me directly.
It does not mean:
- That we will replicate all LandXplorer capability in Infrastructure Modeler
- That we will not introduce additional Infrastructure Modeler functionality in the future that more closely resembles some LandXplorer functionality
- That we perfectly hit all of our valuable LandXplorer customers' requirements with our first release
LandXplorer was an innovative product and, with Infrastructure Modeler, we've made some great additions to LandXplorer's core concepts, including:
- A workflow with refreshable source data
- Allowing a more GIS-friendly data schema
- Introducing the concepts of proposals and time
- A scripting interface!
- Growing 3D assets from 2D GIS and CAD data
- Sketching assets in 2D and instantly creating them in 3D
We've done our best to introduce a new product that carries forward some key capability of LandXplorer while also delivering lots of great new tools. We look forward to hearing your feedback as you explore Infrastructure Modeler.